Crockett Spring Park
It was on the 281 acre grant that David Crockett and his wife, Elizabeth Hedge Crockett, built their log cabin home near the large spring that would become known as Crockett Spring. This land is now home to Crockett Spring Park and Arboretum and serves as a centerpiece of of the downtown Rogersville area. The Certified Tennessee Arboretum was dedicated in September of 2013 and has 36 varieties of trees. The park is a perfect year round setting for pictures, weddings, picnics or casual strolls and can — along with the gazebo — be rented for special occasions.
While you’re visiting Crockett Spring Park, check out some of the historic sites nestled around it!
Rogers Cemetery – Joseph Rogers, founder of Rogersville, and his wife, Mary Amis Rogers are buried here. Also here are the grandparents of David Crockett, original owners of the land, who were killed by Indians in 1777.
Rogers Tavern (Big Tavern House), c.1810 – 205 South Rogers Street – Built by Joseph Rogers, to accommodate overflow from the Old Tavern House. The building is constructed of logs under the clapboard exterior.
Pettibone House (Old Tavern House), c. 1795 – 207 – 209 South Rogers Street – This double house is built of logs under the clapboard exterior. It was connected to the original Rogers Tavern (no longer there) across the street by a covered walkway.
Stone Sidewalks – the large limestone blocks incorporated into the concrete sidewalks were used as the original sidewalks, built by stonemasons who also built railroad bridges. Sections of the original limestone – block sidewalks can still be seen on East Broadway and Colonial Road.
Rogersville City School – RCS was originally the site of the Rogersville Syndical College (1850), a private Presbyterian School for women. The building burned down in 1920 and the Rogersville Grammar & High School was erected. The oldest part of the building was built after a fire destroyed the original school in 1928. The large boxwoods remaining in the front yard are more than 150 years old.